×

DIY Greek Yogurt Deep Conditioner


Hey there!

So last week, I decided to co-wash my hair. My hair had been in a wash and go style for about five days, and it was time for a much needed wash. My hair was starting to get tangled and knotted, so it was time to wash it.  Check out the My First Wash N' Go post to read more about my wash n go. 

I decided to try out Naptural85's Greek Yogurt recipe, but decided to add a few of my own ingredients. 



Naptural 85's recipe called for:
Greek Yogurt (A Natural Whole or 2% variety)
Apple Cider Vinegar (To cut the smell of the yogurt)
Lavendar Essential Oil (To also aid in cutting the smell of the yogurt)

Because the greek yogurt is packed with lots of protein, I tweaked the recipe a little to suit my hair needs, since I know my hair doesn't respond well to of protein. Instead of Lavendar Essential Oil I used Peppermint Oil, since that was what I had at home. I also accidentally picked up Greek Yogurt with 0% variety, but that's okay. I made do with the ingredients I had. 

Here's my recipe:
Greek Yogurt
Apple Cider Vinegar
Honey
Grape Seed Oil
Coconut Oil
Peppermint Essential Oil 

Here's what my mixture looked like.
Steps:
1. Put about 2-3 generous tablespoons of the Greek Yogurt into a mixing bowl (the amount you put all depends on your hair's thickness and length).
2. Add about 2-3 cap fulls of your apple cider vinegar.
3. Add lots of peppermint oil (or your essential oil of choice that has fragrance to mask the smell of the greek yogurt and the apple cider vinegar). 
4. Mix in your honey, grapeseed oil, and coconut oil (you can eyeball these ingredients).
5. Grab your spray bottle and saturate your hair with water.
6. Section off your hair and apply the deep conditioner about two thirds of the way up the hair shaft. Naptural85 warned that applying this mixture to the scalp would leave your scalp smelling the greek yogurt, so I made sure to stay clear of that. 
7. Tie your ends up (not close to the scalp) and apply your plastic cap. Make sure to apply the cap to just the back of your hair, leaving the front out so the smell doesn't linger throughout your hair. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. 
8. Time to rinse out that yogurt! Make sure all the yogurt is thoroughly rinsed out. Grab whatever conditioner you and quickly massage it into your hair and rinse it out. I used the Tressemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth Conditioner. 
9. When your whole head is done, style your hair as usual.

Here a a few pics of my hair during the deep conditioning process. 





While applying the deep conditioner, it didn't detangle my hair as well as it did Naptural85's. It was probably due to the fact that I still had gel in my hair from the wash n go, so I'll be trying this deep conditioner out again in about a month or so, or when I feel my hair needs some protein.

After rinsing the conditioner out and after co-washing, my hair felt super soft, supple, and moisturized. 


I definitely will be trying out this deep conditioner again. I'm trying to get into making my own deep conditioners instead of going out and buying deep conditioners. It saves me a lot of money. Two-three bottles of deep conditioner per month at $10 a pop was becoming very costly, so I knew DIY products were the way to go. 

For more info on Naptural85's Greek Yogurt Deep Conditioner, check out her YouTube video below:
 

No comments

Copyright © Napturally DanyCREATED BY ThemeShine